2015 will be remembered in music critic circles as the Twenty-Teens best year, I predict. Yeah, only half the year is in the books but what a half-year. Sufjan Stevens and Kendrick Lamar dropped classics, Sleater-Kinney and Bjork returned with a vengeance and Alabama Shakes, Florence + The Machine and Drake cemented their commercial standing with critically adored records. Plus Courtney Barnett and Leon Bridges performed like seasoned vets not album rooks.
And the year’s second half looks filthy. The promise of scheduled releases from personal faves Disclosure, Frank Ocean, Jason Isbell, Miguel, Tame Impala and Titus Andronicus (to name a few) in the next few months are making my ears salivate – yes, that’s a thing.
That’s one way of saying I might have to rip up my Favorite Albums 2015 Halftime Edition list in short order. For the time being these are my favorite albums released thus far.
10. (tie) Chastity Belt: Time to Go Home
10. (tie) Towkio: .wav Theory
9. Alabama Shakes: Sound and Color
8. Aero Flynn: Aero Flynn
7. The Dodos: Individ
6. Donnie Trumpet and Social Experiment: Surf
5. Courtney Barnett: Sometimes I Sit and Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit
4. Leon Bridges: Coming Home
3. Braids: Deep in the Iris
2. Kendrick Lamar: To Pimp a Butterfly
1. Sufjan Stevens: Carrie and Lowell