Honestly, this post could have been titled “Two Musicfest NW Acts I’m Excited About” because when the Portland festival’s lineup dropped Wednesday two names rose above all others.
But writing a two performer list kind of struck me as lazy. So I tacked on three more names, and here’s what I came up with. PS: You can view Musicfest NW’s lineup here.
5. Lemolo – I just saw this Seattle dream-pop duo a week ago and I am already ready to see them again. I also considered Tallest Man On Earth, John Maus, I Break Horses, and And And And for the fifth slot. All are worth checking out.
4. Menomena - I’ve been listening to Menomena for a hot minute (circa I Am The Fun Blame Monster) and I’ve lived in Portland for a hot and cold minute. Logic, then, says I should have already seen Menomena live. Alas, I have not. Musicfest NW gives me a chance to rectify this mistake.
3. Passion Pit – My money is on Passion Pit’s sophomore album being a letdown even though the first single “Take A Walk” is nice. It’s just a hunch based on my belief Michael Angelakos caught lightning in a bottle with the band’s debut, Manners. Enough prognosticating. Only four words matter: Crystal Ballroom dance party.
2. Danny Brown – Danny Brown raps about smoking weed, giving women oral pleasure and smoking more weed. And he is fierce (i.e., phenomenal wordplay, liquid flow). Brown is on my short list of artists who I have never seen who I most want to see. Arcade Fire, Daft Punk, Lady Gaga, and the Strokes are also on the list.
1. Big Freedia – NOLA Sissy Bounce queenpin Big Freedia was one of the highlights at last year’s Musicfest NW. There’s no reason to believe the Queen Diva won’t have asses shaking everywhere this go-round either.